Monday, September 13, 2010

Mobile Micro Site

Well, I got a little fun-time in front of the computer this weekend, which is when I make things that aren't strictly customer websites. Now, don't get me wrong, I like to make insurance company websites-- they are helpful for both insurance agents and their clients and our sites are looking pretty good these days.

But I do like to work on other things sometimes, just because, well-- it's fun. So I do some animation, or a bit of illustration for a site just because I like working out some skill or other.

This weekend, I finished up a nice looking micro-site that will work on cellphones.

If you have ever surfed to a site on a cell-phone browser and seen how different the web looks on such a tiny screen, you'll appreciate how cool it is to be able to have a secondary site available just for that particular kind of user. So I made a site that looks and feels a whole lot like an iPhone app. We can detect mobile browsers and send them there directly, so that the site automatically looks and feels like a custom phone application. It isn't the end-all and be-all of web design, but it is a nice touch that really adds some useful functionality to the site.

Right now, I only have the most basic site up, but it does have a pretty good interface. There isn't a whole lot of user interactivity in the site, either. And we don't have a price structure, so they aren't for sale quite yet. But it always feel nice to at least get to that first stage on a product and say: hey this part is -done-!

No comments:

Post a Comment